Fields of activities:
» Cultural studies
Brief description of your activity focus
Social communication and the Third Sector, public sphere and the media studies.
Details about Expertise / Competences / Technologies
Marco Binotto is lecturer at the Department of Communication and Social Research where he teaches “Cultural and communication processes applied to science and health” and “Communication of rights and active citizenship”. He holds a degree in Sociology and a Ph.D. in Communication Sciences obtained by the Department of Sociology and Communication La Sapienza University of Rome, where he has become a specialist in the following fields: social communication and the Third Sector, public sphere and the media representation of the theme immigration, media activism and environmental communication. He coordinates the Observatory on Social Communication (Terza.com) and the Observatory of Communication and environmental sustainability (Change). He has acquired experience as Programme coordinator of the Etnequal Social Communication project on media representation of immigrants in Italy, promoted under the Equal Community Initiative and a survey on the use of communication tools in organizations of Third Sector, carried out in the draft university research of national interest, co-funded by MIUR, Beyond the public: communication architectures and new social space. Currently, he is coordinating the research on security, immigration and asylum in Italian media (Carta di Roma Observatory).
EU Framework Programme related activities:
» Structural changes in the knowledge economy and society
» Socio-economic development trajectories
» Regional, territorial and social cohesion
» Societal trends and lifestyles
» Participation and citizenship in Europe
» Diversities and commonalities in Europe
International and national projects beyond EU Framework Programme
Design and management coordination of the project ETNEQUAL Social Communication for the European Social Fund Equal in partnership with Equal Galgano International, Rai, Caritas, Amnesty International and the National Federation of the Italian Press (FNSI). Particularly
- Coordination of the project (Steering Committee member and head of the group search for the partnership - delegated by the Head coordinator Prof. Mario Morcellini).
- Research coordinator EXTRACOMMUNICATION - monitor on media and immigration (Macro 1) and in particular research team EXTRAPRODUZIONE - analysis of routine production.
- Competition for the design and implementation of educational project (macro 2 - Training of communication professionals)
- Competition to design the communication campaign planned RAI.
Research Coordinator “Cattive Notizie” (bad news) dedicated to the relations between news media, crime and migration, and in particular the National research on immigration and asylum in the Italian media funded by the Ministry of Social Solidarity.
Research Coordinator StreetMonitor: Observatory on Media, new broadcasters and community media funded by the Interuniversity scientific research of national interest programme (PRIN-COFIN 2005.)
Research coordinator (awarded research fellowship) Survey on the use of communication tools in the third sector organizations funded by the Interuniversity scientific research of national interest programme (PRIN-COFIN 2004) Besides the public: new communication architecture and social space.
Design and direction of research Public opinion, national government and global: the role of movements, associations and active minorities as pressure groups - Funded by MURST (Italian Ministry of University School and Research)- Young Scientists Project (Year 2002).
Research coordinator Styles of media representation of health from case Umberto I
Research coordinator The implementation of communication strategies adopted by ANPAS (National Association of Public Assistance) and member associations.
Coordination of a Census on the use of communication and publishing tools in the organizations associated with the Forum del Terzo Settore (Third Sector Forum).
Organization (coordination) of an observatory on environmental communication Change. In particular:
- Planning and participation in research Disputes Energy. The quality and effectiveness of the presentation to the institutions of the environmental benefits of technological innovation in relation to infrastructure projects of Enel. The case of Torrevaldaliga Nord, Civitavecchia (Rome).
Organization (coordination) of an Observatory of media events in political communication (OCP). In particular:
- Coordination of a seminar at the Faculty of Communication entitled The media system and the G8 in Genoa.
- Design and development of a research project on media conflicts around Article 18 of the Workers Statute.
- Organization (coordination of research teams) of a research event G8 Genoa 2001, the construction media event, the news coverage and communication representation of the People of Seattle.
- Organization (coordinating research teams) and participation in research about the election campaign of 2001. Search preceded by an analysis of the media coverage of designation Rutelli, candidate for prime minister.