Fields of activities:
» Performing arts
Brief description of your activity focus
The relationship between theatre and consciousness
Details about Expertise / Competences / Technologies
The central focus of my research is the relationship between consciousness and theatre. I have addressed specific aspects of this relationship as follows:
• the actor’s emotional involvement against the background of the Vedic model of consciousness.
• an extended meaning for the concept of rasa in the context of consciousness studies.
• In contrast to the vast majority of critics, I like Peter Brook’s production of the Mahabharata, and seek to articulate my subjective impression in an academic context. I identify the comments of Bharucha and other critics as predominantly grounded in the Western mind-set, and provide a counter-critique of Brook’s production against the background of criteria based on an Indian mind-set.
• I locate one of the levels on which Brook’s production functions with reference to the concept of dhvani, suggestion, in the contexts of Indian aesthetics and consciousness studies.
• I argue that theatre, if it follows the ideas contained in the Natyashastra, may have an important function in society, far beyond its currently predominant entertainment value.
• I define distinct higher states of consciousness (states beyond waking, dreaming and sleeping) against the model of consciousness described in the Vedanta system of Indian philosophy, and I proceed to interpret the Miss Helen’s vision in Athol Fugard’s The Road to Mecca again the background of this model of higher states of consciousness.