interuniversity Chair in law And the human genome (UPV/EHU)Public Law
|Employees (in Depart.)||11-25 |
|Organisation Type||Public Body |
| Research Focus|
Fields of activities:
Brief description of your activity focus
Bioethics, biolaws, governance of science, public law
Details about Expertise / Competences / Technologies
I was awarded my PhD in Law in December 2003. From that moment on, I have dedicated my life to bioethics and
biolaw. My expertise is specially referred to topics such as the stem cell lines issues, human enhancement, gene
editing, data managing issues, human dignity, synthetic biology, cloning, chimaeras & hybrids, and more. In 2014
I was awarded a PhD in Philosophy (topic: “human dignity and bioethics”). I have published four books and a large
number of book chapters and papers on these topics. I have also attended a lot of international congresses,
conferences and workshops as invited speaker and acted as an invited expert or representative for the Council of
Europe and the EU Commission. It is also important to highlight that I have participated in more than ten FPVI and
FPVII EU funded research projects, led by some of the most prestigious bioethicists in Europe and in three COST
actions in which over 200 EU researchers took part. Most of these projects were strictly related to the topic this
proposal is devoted to. I have also edited two books for Springer. I am currently Member of the group of experts in
Ethics and Scientific Integrity, Science in Society programme, H2020 (SwafS-Ethics)
| Research Activities|
|Project Title||Chimeras and hybrids in comparative European and international research – scientific, ethical, philosophical and legal aspects”.|
|Specific Theme||Chimaeras and Hybrids ethics and law|
|Project Title||End-user driven DEmo for cbrNe. European Union|
|Specific Theme||Major disasters.|
|Project Title||Synthetic Biology for Human Health: Ethical and Legal Issues.|
|Specific Theme||Synthetic biology.|
|Project Title||“Engineering of the porcine genome for xenotransplantation studies in primates: a step towards clinical application”|
|Project Title||Biotechnology Ethics: deepening by research, broadening to future applications and new EU members, permeating education to young scien|
|Project Title||Regenerative Medicine in Europe.|
|Specific Theme||Stem cells ethical, political and social issues|
International and national projects beyond EU Framework Programme
Participation in International Research Projects and networks
11. Research project “Bioethics, sexuality and Gender Identity”, funded by the Wellcome Centre for the History of
Medicine, the National Institutes of Health, and the Pew Foundation. Project Leaders: Lance Wahlert and Autumn
Fiester. See: http://www.queerbioethics.org/. From 2011 on
12. U. S. Department of Health & human services. Spanish representative in the International Compilation of Human
Research Standards. From 2008 on
13. Member of the Spanish Division of the ICGC, CGC: International Cancer Genome Consortium. Participation funded
by the Spanish Ministry of Health.
14. Member of the Management Committee of COST ACTION IS1001: Bio-objects and their boundaries: governing
matters at the intersection of society, politics, and science. 2010-2014
15. Member of COST ACTION IS1201 Disaster Bioethics: addressing ethical issues triggered by disasters. 2014 on.
16. Member of COST ACTION IS1303: Citizen’s Health through public-private Initiatives: Public health, Market and
Ethical Perspectives (CHIP ME). 2015 on.
17. Member of the Management Committee of COST ACTION CA15105 COST Association. European Medicines
Shortages Research Network - addressing supply problems to patients (Medicines Shortages)
Participaton in Spanish research projects related to Criminal Law and Biolaws.
18. Research Project In Social Sciences funded by the Autonomous Community of Madrid: “Estudios de los criterios
bioéticos para la toma de decisiones al final de la vida” (A Study of the Bioethical Criteria in End-of-Life Decision
Taking). Coordinator: BENITO DE CASTRO CID.
19. Research Project funded by the MCINN (Ministry of Science) “Autonomía y bioética. AUTBIO” (Autonomy and
Bioethics). 1st January 2009-31th December 2012. Coordinator: Doctor Antonio Casado da Rocha. University of the
20. Research Project funded by the MCIIN (Ministry of Science) “Delincuencia económica. Nuevos instrumentos
jurídicos y tecnológicos” (Economic Delinquency. New legal and technological instruments). Coordinator: Carlos María
Romeo Casabona. 1st- January 2009-31th December 2012.
21. Research Project funded by the MCIIN (Ministry of Science) “Las consecuencias políticas de la crisis económica”
(Political consequences of the economical crisis). Coordinator: Fernando Vallespín. 1st- January 2012-31th December
22. Research Project funded by the MINECO (Ministry of Economy) “Justicia, Derecho, Asistencia Sanitaria” (Justice,
Law, Health Care) Coordinators: Ana Marcos del Cano, Juan Gimeno Ullastres. 1st- January 2015-31th December 2017.
23. Research Project funded by the MINECO (Ministry of Economy) “Bioterrorismo y Bioseguridad: Bases para la
estructuración de nuevos instrumentos jurídico-penales para enfrentar las amenazas biológicas” (Bioterrorism and
Biosecurity: bases for the settlement of new legal tools to face biological threats) Coordinator: Emilio Armaza Armaza.
1st- September 2015-31th August 2017.
| Partner Search Profiles|
|01-01-1970 | |
| Further Information|
Inserted / Updated
2016-03-18 / 2016-04-04