Fields of activities:
|» History |
» Visual arts
» Other humanities
» Cultural studies
|» Architecture and design |
» Education (incl. training, pedagogy, didactics)
» Journalism, mass media and communication
Brief description of your activity focus
visual culture of tourism and airlines; design, post-colonial politics and national identity; history of Irish design, philanthropic architecture
Details about Expertise / Competences / Technologies
I am a design writer, researcher, educator and Programme Chair of the BA (Hons) Visual Communication Design at
IADT, Dublin. I hold a BA in Visual Communication Design / Art and Design History, an MA in Architectural History and
a PhD in Design History and Irish Studies. My research interests focus on where design analysis informs cultural
history and I regularly publish, lecture and broadcast on Irish, European and US design.
Select Bibliography (books):
- Ireland, Design and Visual Culture: Negotiating Modernity 1922-1992 (ed. with Elaine Sisson), Cork University Press
Select Bibliography (essays):
- ‘Lance Wyman: Visual Poet’, in Lance Wyman: Mexico, MUAC, Museo Universitario Arte Contemporáneo, UNAM,
México City (2014).
- ‘”Guinness is Good for You”: Experiments in Workers’ Housing and Public Amenities by the Guinness Brewery and
Guinness/Iveagh Trust, 1872-1915 in Philanthropy in Nineteenth-Century Ireland, Laurence M Geary and Oonagh
Walsh and (eds.), Four Courts (2014).
-‘Philanthropic housing by Industrial Families in Dublin’, in Architect and Architecture 1600-2000, Rolf Loeber and
Hugh Campell (eds.) Yale University Press/Royal Irish Academy (2014).
- ‘Design Reform and Professionalisation: 1940-1979’; and ‘Design Specialisms: Graphic, film, animation and craft
design: 1980-2000’ in Catherine Marshall, Peter Murray (eds.), 20th Century Art and Artists, Yale University Press/
Royal Irish Academy (2014).
- ‘Reform and Advocacy: The legacy of the Kilkenny Design Workshops (1963-1988)’, in Vernacular, Crafts Council of
Ireland, Kilkenny (2013).
‘(De)Constructing the Tourist’s Gaze: Dutch Influences on Aer Lingus Tourism Posters, 1951-61’, in King and Sisson
(eds.) Ireland, Design and Visual Culture: Negotiating Modernity 1922-1992, Cork (2011).
- ‘Materiality, Modernity and the Shaping of Identity’, (with Elaine Sisson) in King and Sisson (eds.) Ireland, Design
and Visual Culture: Negotiating Modernity 1922-1992, Cork, (2011).
- ‘Saints, Shamrocks and Signifying Practices: Aer Lingus and the Materialisation of Irish Catholic Identity,
Eire/Ireland, Spring/Summer 2011.
EU Framework Programme related activities:
» REFLECTIVE-1-2014: ERA-NET on Uses of the past
» REFLECTIVE-10-2014: Mobilising the network of National Contact Points in Societal Challenge 6
» REFLECTIVE-2-2015: Emergence and transmission of European cultural heritage and Europeanisation
International and national projects beyond EU Framework Programme
Consultant/Researcher/Writer for Pivot: Dublins bid for World Design Capital designation, 2014. Project initiated in 2011
and sponsored by Dublin City Council to promote Irish design in an international context. http://www.pivotdublin.com/bid